Sunday, May 25, 2014

My New Favorite Thing

Fads come and go and right now I am in love with Ricotta Cheese.  Most people think that this bland cheese is just a layer in lasagna.  Lately I have been using it for so much more!

For breakfast I like to add a touch of salt and honey, smear it on a some puff pastry, bake it off and it is amazing!

For lunch it goes well in a frittata or quiche, I have also had it on pizza instead of tomato sauce.

For dinner, I have used it as a sauce for pasta... just add a little pasta water to thin it out, some olive oil, little seasoning, a few peas, top with freshly grated parm, and it coats pasta very well!

My new all time favorite way to eat ricotta is simply spread on a crispy thin cracker with maybe a tiny piece of prosciutto on top. 

To make the spread:

1 Cup ricotta
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of garlic powder (dont use fresh garlic, too strong here)
S&P to taste

mix everything together in a bowl and let set in the fridge for at least an hour before you serve it.  You can even mold into fun shapes for cheese platters for when you have guests coming over. 

*Serving Suggestion*  drizzle with some good aged basalmic vinegar to help make it POP!

Let me know how you eat ricotta!

No comments:

Post a Comment