Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Pantry in a Pinch

I wanted to make a great and people pleasing appetizer but without using ANY fresh ingredients! I made a variation on Hummus and I like, and my 2 little brothers even like it, (3 and 4 years)

Normal Hummus requires tahini, lemon juice, and fresh garlic. Below is my version and I used only items that were in the pantry. (Buy these items for your pantry and have them in the case of unexpected company.)

1 can of low sodium chickpeas (drained 15 ounces)

1/4 jar of roasted red peppers in water (drained, about 3 ounces)

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 tsp dried lemon zest

1 tbsp sesame seeds

1 tsp garlic powder

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Whole Wheat Crackers to eat it with.

This was so easy to make and tasted pretty good! Just put everything (except the crackers) in a food processer and blend until smooth. That's it! Spoon into a bowl and serve with the crackers. For added flair put a small drizzle of olive oil on top and sprinkle with chopped parsley and fresh cracked black pepper! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment